Most people today are aware of the growing environmental problems brought on by the changing climate. As the Earth’s surface temperature increases, so does the threat to the planet and all creatures living in it. Normally, the excess heat should be properly released through the atmosphere, but because of the high levels of greenhouse gases that have accumulated over the years, the heat is trapped near the surface. Governments all over the world have started implementing strategies to combat the phenomenon of climate change but we can’t rely on them to save the planet. Instead, we as individuals should do all we can in order to contribute to solving the global warming problem. Here are some things you can begin doing on your own:
1. Learn about the causes and effects of climate change. Before becoming a part of the solution, it’s important that you first understand what’s going on. You might even be surprised to know that some of the ordinary things you’ve been doing are among the very things aggravating the problem.
2. Reduce your energy consumption. The more electricity you use, the more you contribute to the climate change problem. With the kind of lifestyles we’ve gotten used to, it’s simply impossible to stop using electricity altogether. However, there are still many ways by which you can reduce your electricity consumption without changing your lifestyle. Simple things like turning appliances off when you’re not using them or doing chores manually instead of using electric appliances just for convenience can help a lot if you do them on a daily basis. Also make it a practice to completely turn off your TV and VCR after using, instead of leaving it on standby mode, which still uses up a little bit of electricity.
3. Save gas. You don’t need to take your car with you wherever you go. There are many other more environment-friendly ways of traveling, such as using public transport, carpooling with your neighbors or office co-workers, biking, or even walking. With these alternative methods, you will not only help save the planet but you can save a lot of money as well.
4. Stop using aerosol products. These products contribute a lot to the thinning of the ozone layer. If you want to preserve the ozone layer we still have, you have to stop using hairspray and spray paints right away.
5. Dispose of waste properly. Do not burn trash at all. Instead, separate the biodegradable from the non-biodegradable waste. Bury the biodegradable in a compost pit in your backyard and bring the non-biodegradable ones to recycling centers in your community.
For thousands of years, people have inhabited Earth and used its resources without so much as a thought of what the consequences would be in the future. Now, that future is upon us and we have to deal with the effects of our past actions. Fortunately, it isn’t too late. By starting with these simple yet effective steps, we can still reverse the situation and save the planet, as well as ourselves.
- Ozone Layer and Global Warming: COP-17 hassle is an open invite to geoengineering quick fix (cubandemocracy.wordpress.com)
- Transitioning to “Cantilevered Sustainability”( )