Bringing home a new kitten is always an exciting time. However, it is very important that you know how to choose a healthy kitten to bring home so that you will save money on veterinary bills. Not only that, but choosing a healthy kitten will also save you and your family from heartache.
When choosing a healthy kitten, here are important signs of health to check for:
- A clean bottom. When examining a kitten, gently lift its tail to check for discharge or diarrhea.
- A soft, glossy, and smooth coat. When examining your kitten’s coat for indication of health, you should also check for skin irritation or parasites.
- Dry, clean ears. If your new kitten is excessively scratching at its ears or there is dark-colored wax present, there may be ear mites involved. However, never poke anything into your kitten’s ear canal because it can cause damage.
- A healthy mouth. When checking your kitten’s mouth, look for white teeth, odor-free breath, and pale pink gums that are indicators of good health.
- A slightly moist, velvety nose. A healthy kitten’s nose should be free of discharge. When checking the kitten’s breathing, it should be steady. If not, it may be an indication of a viral infection.
- Bright eyes. Bright eyes that are free of discharge is a sign of a healthy kitten. You should also check that the third eyelid is not showing because it can mean that the kitten is injured or ill.
- A round belly. A kitten’s belly should be round, but not pot-bellied. If your kitten is pot-bellied, it can mean that it is not well. Your kitten, when picked up, should also feel a little heavier than what it looks like.
- Personality. Even though kittens, like people, have different personalities, you should watch them as they play. In doing so, watch for signs of vitality or lameness because it is important for your kitten’s overall health.
With these tips for choosing a healthy kitten, you will be able to select a kitten to keep you company for years to come. With cats averaging a lifespan of 15 years, ensuring their health will allow you both to enjoy happier, longer lives.